WC53 Restoration Entry #30 & 31

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 12:49:23 PDT

I made a spot in my "Carryall - Exploded View" garage for the compressor
and after some fiddling with gun adjustments and regulator settings
proceeded to paint the 30 or so smaller parts I picked up from Western
Sandblast Friday afternoon. The compressor had no trouble staying ahead of
the gun and I was very happy with it.

For everyone who has cautioned me about over spray, I have a hanging
plastic paint booth of sorts setup in the garage. Two box fans move air
through furnace filters, providing me with good airflow and catching the
90% of the over spray. I wet down the driveway just ahead of the fans to
catch what the filters don't, but it's minimal. I'm also wearing a good
respirator.

Saturday I removed the Peel Away paper and stripper from the truck. It
took off the gray primer coat, the Navy yellow coat under that, the Navy
gray coat under that, and left two softened coats of OD green. I worked
for an hour or so using a right angle grinder with a 3M gray "de-burring"
wheel on it to take things down to bare metal. Buffed silver metal is
showing from the tail gate to the middle window, top to bottom on the
passenger side. I expect to take most of this week to strip the exterior
of the truck.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA