M1009 parts source, etc.

From: Jaime Ponce de Leon (jaimepdl@elp.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 22:12:52 PDT

First of all, I'm commenting on how certain people tend to complain on whats
wrong with this list, yet very few appreciate whats RIGHT about it.
Here is a place, wher many diffrent people from many diffrent backgrounds,
with as many diffrent intrests come, to ask questions, and to answer others.
There isnt a set "Collector" thats on here, this list is made up of people
who love collecting these green things, or people who dream of owning one,
but cant right now. People who want to get into this hobby, or those who
have been doing it for many many years. People who use their green toys for
play, parades, and keeping historical information alive, and availible to
the public. People who use them to work, plain and simple. People like the
gentleman who owns a ranch... and a m715, who pulled me and my jeep out of
the mud. People who use their deuce and a half to haul sandbags to help
defend small towns against rising rivers. People who want information on the
most obscure topics, and get it, and people like myself, and richard, chief
of something or other, and a few others who need to know about the vehicles
that their departments bought, or had donated, vehicles that once served the
public in defense, now serve the public daily, weather it be police,
sheriff, or search and rescue like mine.

Once upon a time, a EMT, working for a local not-for-profit SAR team (who
looks alot like me, but a year or so younger... even had the same name, heh
heh heh) opened the garage door to the station, and pulled the cover off of
the latest donation to our team. That M1009, which has given us so many
headaches at the beganing, has saved 12 lives in the 13 months that we have
had it. I opened the door, and was in awe of the truck. It, while looking so
much like its civilian brother, was so diffrent. When we filled the tank up,
changed out the glow plugs, and the fuel filter, fuel pump, added a back
seat, a lightbar (then replaced the lightbar after blowing the first one...
then killing the second one a few months later when trying to add a/c... but
thats another story) and installed the hood that arrived 2 months after the
truck, we took it for its first drive. We hit the sand in the desert, and I
realized that since the sun visor was missing, so were the intructions to
shifting the 4 wheel drive. Idrove the beast to my house, logged into the
computer, and asked the list, "Ok, M1009, 4 wheel drive, how?????" Within 2
weeks, no less then 7 people had sent me step by step instructions, 2 had
scanned or photocopied their sunvisor, and 1 person, bless their heart, too
bad I forgot who, copied those pages in the training manual, and sent it to
me in the mail.

(climbing down from the soap box)

Anyhoo... the reason I was coming out of my usual list-lurking was to inform
you that I ordered a rear window gasket, and weather strip (not to keep out
the rain... what rain, but to keep out the dust we kick up out in the
desert) and a seat-belt kit for the rear seat (theres this one spot on the
old fire roads, that if you hit it just right, at the right speed,
whoopie!), from LMC truck (www.lmctruck.com). Excellnt service and
selection, so hit them for your parts needs for the CUCV series.
(disclaimer, i'm just a satisfied customer, no more relations)

Jaime Ponce de Leon
EMT Supervisor
TAMSAR Medical

1984 M1009. ( with a new seatbelt kit and window trim )