Jeep in the garage

From: Steve (FLYNN1955@webtv.net)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 22:32:08 PDT

Well I found my first jeep in the barn.It belongs to a friends Dad,via
his Dad.In short a one family owner.It is a 1942 Ford MB,the Oregon
registration calls it ''assembled''.I take it that is because it now has
a 289 V8 Ford in it with Mustang brakes.A modified hinge to hold the
hood up 1'' up for air filter to clear.Boast an extended front bumper
with winch and tow bar.The aluminium top was made by Pentagon and has a
vertical windshield, meaning the original is gone.At the rear a heavy
bumper has been added with lights.Centered spare but has combat rims,all
5,civiy tires.I wish I could have seen more of the inside,but it was
chock o block with Dads hunting gear!!! Yes this is what us Americans
call a HUNTING RIG.What else would have saved these fine machines for
prosperity?This one looks like it hauled a few Dear on the hood as well
as boat/canoe on the roof rack.The fuel tank is an add on which has the
spout coming through about the same place as the M38.The seats are
replaced with a bench seat,origins unknown.What is neat is the time
Grandpa put into making this his rig.A heater is installed with vents to
the windshield,heat hose up the center holding an ash tray and cigarette
lighter,home made sun visors.Lots of unidentified switches and a new
ignition.Foot emergency brake.Good battery but would not catch to
start.Again because of the crammed quarters it would have not been
possible to drive.A lot of original parts and has Data plates.Painted
flat OD type green,which is flaking to reveal OD#9,yes and some
stencilling.
I am not interested in this one,but have offered her help to get it up
and running for our May Swap Meet here in Portland. Her Dad wants
$4,500......to much but he was guessing (hey it was his'Dad's',)Say it
has 4,200 miles,most towed.Spent most of it's life in the dry Eastern
Oregon climate.
I'll try to answerer any Questions for those interested.Grandpa seemed a
great small detail man,maybe this just cleaned up would be a cool detail
of a fast passing time.

Steve
WC51