Virus woes

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 07:17:31 PDT

Fellas,

Don't be too quick to blame the individual that the email appears to be
coming from.

That is exactly the intent of the way the virus operates. I did some
reading on the Symantec site about it. It's a sneaky virus, with lots of
identities.

It infects a victim's computer and lays in wait for a while. It looks
through their email address book and randomly selects victims from the
unopened emails, and then replies to them as if the infected user has done
it. And of course, sends that extra attachment. All this happens without
the original victim knowing it.

So, blaming the sender isn't going to help, he's already 'been a victim
himself'. He just needs to know to get it fixed.

I have received over a dozen 'replies' to previous postings in the last two
days myself. Some of them in regards to couple of month old posts. From
several different listers' addresses. Norton Antivirus 2001 has caught them
all, and I erased all of them.

I suggest we post a page with the list of those email addresses that we have
received from. Not to blame them, but to let them know that their systems
are infected. It's a good chance that they aren't aware of it, yet.

Since I have been erasing them, my list is incomlete, but so far, I have
received virus attachments from the following:

 "Pam & Dan" <pamelakg@intergate.bc.ca>

"Gavin Broad" <invest@portsmouth-mann.com>

"Jeanne Lacourse" <cckw@mediaone.net>

Dan Parmley

I have been told that I also sent emails with the attached virus. But, I am
running Norton, and it is not on my system. It is a possibility, that one
of the mail servers or systems that the mail is passing through is infecting
postings.

Just some ideas to toss about.

John