Re: [MV] M1009 Turbo

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 04:19:45 PDT

I have had numerous 6.2/6.5 Generous Motors diesels in everything from lil
shortbeds to my 1 ton crewbab 4x4 with 40" tires. They are true diesels and
really exactly what GM designed them to do. Some gas trucks will pass
anything but a gas station. My 84 with 3:08 gears and OD wouldn't pass a
thing except a gas station. 25 mpg was an everyday occurrence and 28 could
be had with care. The 6.5 turbos are not nearly as efficient because of a
larger precup in the cylinder heads. As long as you are not in a hurry, these
motors can deliver the goods. As a point of reference, be careful of the
harmonic dampers. The rubber tends to squeeze out and crankshaft failure
will surely follow. This is the weakest point of the 6.2. Just so you know,
I just flat towed my tractor 1250 miles with a 6.5TD in a crew cab. Not a
single problem and 60 mph was no problem. My shortbed had 365,000 when I
sold it without a problem.

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL
'52 Stude M-275 tractor (it's alive)