Re: [MVlist] The end of the saga - wrong?

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 08:08:12 PDT

Sorry to hear that you are still being afflicted with the virus.

My suggestion (after cleaning up more than my fair share of viri ridden computers)
is to attack it with more than one tool. Mcafee has the ability to create a boot
disk that will rid core windows files of a virus or at least identify that they
have been modified so you can replace the nasty modified files with clean files.
I used that capability to route a really nasty virus from my computers the last
time I got hit. Then I loaded Trend Micros software and actually had both
anti-viri software packages runnning at the same time. What one did not fix,
often times the other one did. Yes, it can get really ugly. At some point you
may want to pull out the windows boot disks and reformat your drive and start
over.

I believe that both Mcafee and Trend Micro offer free anti-viri software that you
can download and try free for a period of time. That might be long enough to get
you out of trouble.

My point about Netscape is that to my knowledge it has not been hit with any viri
that causes it to send out messages without the senders knowledge to further
spread the virus. Outlook has been plagued with viri that do just that.

Dave