Re: [MV] V-42 knife info

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 16:30:32 PDT

The V-42 was made for the First Special Service Force (The Devil's
Brigade) - a joint US and Canadian elite WWII force that lasted from 1942
through 1944. It has a special scabbard that is leather and similar to the
US M6 sheath but had a LONG upper section so that it could be worn on the
thigh, right where the hand hangs naturally. Pommel is steel. Grip is made
of leather washers. Bottom washer is larger and backs the entire guard which
is made of aluminum. Blade 7-1/4" long.

The V-42 was made by W. R. CASE & Co, USA. Marked CASE just between guard
and the thumbprint.

I met several FSSF vets who still had their V-42 knives, though I was never
able to acquire one. I have the F-S Fighting Knife and the USMC Raider
Stiletto (all black unmarked version for 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion,
though I once owned a USMC marked one).

Very good replicas of the V-42 have been made. I had one replica. Photo of
that is on my web site at: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/weapons.htm (second
photo down) Two of the all black USMC/1CPB knives are shown on this page,
and a regular Commando F-S Fighting Knife. My father's Wilkinson F-S
Fighting Knife is shown at: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/a_h_stevens.htm

I do not have a V-42. Wish I did.

Compulsory military vehicle content: On the above page with my dad's knife,
he is sitting on his Harley-Davidson WLC. The DND registration number is
visible: 42-1-561. I wonder what became of it? He looks happy, doesn't he?
Lots of other Canadian MV stuff on other pages at that web site.

Colin Macgregor Stevens

NOTE: I lost about 100 messages on 2001 APR 10-15 due to a server problem.
If you sent me a message during that time that was not answered, please
resend it. Thanks.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycles (2)