CCKW on eBay...but no title...

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 09:21:30 PDT

Hi listees,

I recently was the high bidder on a 1944 CCKW on eBay. Before bidding I
communicated with the "owner" and thought that I had all the information
that I needed.....BUT I neglected one detail...the "owner" did not have
title to the vehicle. I did not find this out until today when he returned
the Texas Dept of Transportation papers that I needed the "owner" to sign
before transferring the non-existent title to my name in Texas. I also
needed the non-existent TN title......

SO....questions:
1) How can I best verify that the "owner" did in fact "own" the vehicle and
thus had the right to sell it?

2) Would it be advisable to have the "owner" get a title from Tenn (where
he lives and the vehicle is located) or from a title company such as the
one at http://www.its-titles.com/ ?

3) Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

dean

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu