Re: [MVlist] Importation of HUMMVEE...

From: Anith@wfp.org
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 07:56:42 PDT

Hi Bill,

An American friend of mine wanted to export (or rather take it with him)
one of the rare 1984 foreign spec MUTTs to the U.S. On his behalf, I asked
the list for their comments. The following pasted response from Henry &
Kate Cubillan <cubillan@earthlink.net> would be very useful to you:

"Legality may be an issue. According to US Customs and DOT importation
laws, a vehicle may be imported into the US from another country,
regardless of whether it passes DOT/EPA certifications, IF the vehicle is
at least 25 years old. For 2001, that's 1976 or older, so your
friend
cannot use this clause. Now it gets more complicated. If a vehicle was
assembled in the US to US specs and was later exported, then it can be
brought back to the US, provided it has not been modified in any way while
outside of the country. There is an issue of proof, I suggest
you
look into this with US Customs. If the vehicle was manufactured in the US
to a different spec, it CANNOT be imported into the US. In your
case,
I doubt the vehicle can be imported, since MUTT's weren't even technically
supposed to be in civilian hands (certainly not by the end of production),
and this one exceeds the period where they were assembled for the US
military by more than five years, I doubt it can
be
done.
Some of the above may not apply to MV's, the bulk of my experience
with
importation is with passenger cars and light trucks".

Anith@wfp.org wrote:

> An American friend of mine who is here in Sudan wants to take home
to the
> US a 1984 MUTT (Not mine!) There are many 1984 makes around here. He
says
> you can't find a post 1979 MUTT in the US because none were made
after 1979
> for the US military. Is it true or is he wasting his money on
freight,
> insurance etc? He needs advice.
>
> MUTT experts, comments please!
>
> Cheers! Oops! No booze here in this country :-( >

You wrote:

I'm passing this along for somebody:

I don't want to bother you but I hope you might be able to help me. I
want to
import a Humvee from Australia but am not sure of the import restrictions.
The seller tells me that all I need to get the vehicle is show my ID,
bill of
sale and the shipping receipt. That may be so, but does that mean I
can
register the vehicle here in the US?

Anyone "in the know" please contact me back...

Thanks,

Bill