M35A2 cooling system problems

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 16:33:48 PDT

Greetings all:
    Pulled the radiator yesterday to replace old cracked hoses in
preparation for the summer and found the water pump sounds like it's full of
rocks. Also while I had the radiator out, I decided to flush out the "mud"
from the top and bottom tanks. When I finished, I found a pinhole leak in
one of the coolant tubes.
    Perusing the various vendors in MV Mag, I find prices for the NOS pump
running $80 thru $155.
Has anyone ever had the bearings replaced in a pump, or for that matter, can
it be done?
    Is there a commercial replacement pump out there, or is this a "special"
for the LD 465 series engines?
    How about the radiator. A friend was recently quoted $650 to recore his
deuce radiator, but found a NOS unit somewhere from a Vendor (last one?).
Anyone know where there might be more NOS radiators hiding and the price?
    How about the reliability of take outs? What do you look for to
determine reliability of a TO Radiator? TO water pumps? Especially mail
order ones?
    Any thoughts on the above would be gratefully received since the Missus
is starting to get a bit miffed on the continuing use of the credit card
for 'just one more part' to get the "Queen" up and running.

TIA, Ron

PS FWIW, you may want to pop the belts off your water pump and give it a
spin since you will never hear it going south until it's too late with all
the noise the 465 makes.