Humvees in Oz

From: Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account) (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 03:33:16 PDT

Bill asked:
> Hey, Oz! Any word on those fellows trying to run the Humm-Vee scam? Is this an
> MV legend, or was someone truely trying to pull a fast one? For the record,
> does Austrailia use Humm-Vees? I would think that they would be in the Land
> Rover camp...

Aas far as I am aware, the Australian Army has used Land-Rovers for decades,
and no HMMV's at all. Some were imported for trials as Prison detention
patrol vehicles in Queensland but apparently they were a miserable failure
and kept breaking down (from what I remember), there was even a parliamentary
enquiry as to why they were so bad.
Some (possibly the same ones?) were used for Forestry work I believe (I saw
a captioned photo). It looked like the civilian version. A well-known
Australian millionaire stockbroker here in Sydney has a shiny black one.
I did see one HMMV, either the military version or painted up to resemble
such at the Military Jeep Club of Queensland's swap meet last year or the
year before. I think it could have been for sale. Perhaps it is this one?
I've also seen some ads in Unique Cars magazine for imported secondhand
civilian ones for about 160,000 AUD (80,000 USD).

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au