Re: [MV] Humvees in Oz

From: John Kidd (johnkidd@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 06:49:04 PDT

The Australian Army has evaluated HUMVEES, and there have been none
entering into service. They were also looking at conversions to right hand
drive and there are a couple of engineering companies on the east coast and
one on the west coast (Perth) I believe.

They received some press at the time (12-18 months ago). Initially they
were rejected, one of the main reasons was that they are too wide. Our
outback and bush tracks scrape the sides of Toyota 4WDs let alone the 8
foot beasts.

There was some talk of reviewing the decision as Land Rovers are not
without their problems. I spoke to a private auto workshop proprietor in
Darwin who had two army Land Rovers in for service and he said they had no
end of trouble with them, mainly transmissions.

There are companies importing civilian versions and converting them for
"Arnie" wannabes.

As far as ex-Australian Army Humvees being available I would put them in
the same category as the Sydney Harbour bridge being for sale. If they were
any I'm sure there are plenty of people here in Oz that would snap them up.

Don't send money.

John K