Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

From: J. Forster (jfor@onemain.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 06:48:21 PDT

> Richard wrote:
>
> The first jet/jet combat occurred on 4 August 1944 against a V1 flying bomb.

I don't think ths was really "jet/jet combat", since it was not a dogfight. The
V-1 could not fight back and harm the attacker.The V-1 flew a straight and level
course, until it's clockwork "mouse" shut off the engine and put the rudder over
to cause the vehicle to crash and explode in the terminal phase of the mission.
PLEASE NOTE, I am not saying that these missions were risk free, since the
attacking plane could well be damaged by the explosion and/or debris from a
successful attack.

The jet's speed would certainly have been a help, since the V-1 was
comparatively fast compared to the prop planes of the era.

Take care,
John