Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 16:47:26 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Forster" <jfor@onemain.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Merlin Engine

The democratic consensus seems to be in favour at present, in an attempt to
please all of the people all of the time I'll try some ruthless snipping and
one liners.

> > I guess we need to define what type of Jet we are talking about i.e.
> > TURBOJET, RAMJET, or PULSEJET.

Possibly, they are all "Jets" though.

> The V-1 was a pulsed ramjet. There were a set of venetian blind-like vanes
at
> the input. They opened to let in combustion air and were closed during the
power
> part of the cycle. I think it was essentially a relaxation oscillator, and
had
> only two operating modes: on and off. They were launched from a catapult
(steam
> or air driven ??) and/or had booster solids. I don't remember.

Steam, generated by the same means as the Me163B. C-Stoff and T-Stoff,
Hydrogen peroxide and hydrazine, exceedingly reactive and dangerous.

> > If you were a pilot you would not want to be in an aircraft that you
have no
> > control of the thrust. That is why it was used as a "rocket".

I believe you'll find the distinction between jet and rocket is that the
former is air-breathing and the latter self-oxidising whether liquid or
solid.

> > If I had to make a logical point the V1, V2, and variants of the X
program
> > (X15) they were not jets in its accepted category but merely "rockets"

One jet, two rockets.

> > BTW does anyone out there know the difference between a "MOTOR" and an
> > "ENGINE" if so you might give credence to my opinion, if not look it up.
You
> > might be surprised.

Emmett, we may be on a hiding to nothing, doubtless my dictionary and yours
disagree. An engine can be a motor but a motor cannot always be an engine.

Richard
Southampton - England