Re: What did your company do in the war daddy?

From: Douglas Greville (dgrev@ruralnet.net.au)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 19:49:03 PDT

Jeanne

> I find it facinating what different companies did in WW2:

I think one of the strangest was the allocation of sub-work to cabinet
makers all over England by the War Ministry/De Havilland for the
construction of the Mosquito, Wardrobes today, fast bombers tomorrow.
One way to save on valuable aluminium and
involve a previously under utilised part of industry for war production
work.
The Air Ministry and USAAF were far from impresssed, they
didn't think of any part of it themsleves so didn't want "the Wooden
Wonder". Why would any air force want a bomber with a crew of 2 that
could go on unescorted missions to Germany and back in half the time
of any other and deliver a bomb load in excess of that of a B-17G AND
that could outrun all Germany's convential fighters except the Do-335
and the secret weapons such as the Me-262 and Me-163?

But that isn't how you build burocratic empires is it, by reducing
manpower levels from crews of 8 or 9 down to 2?

Then they tried sending the Mosquitos out to this end of the world and
they promptly started falling apart as English furniture glue was not
suited to the tropics, so a tropical proof glue was needed.
If what I have read years ago is correct, that is how Araldite
came into being.

Regards
Doug

                 Armoured Vehicles Collector
        _______
      _/_(_o_)_\_ ____
    _/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
   / [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
  /\_ [o] [o] _/\ Broken Hill __/=_|____|_=\__
  |w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
          M8 Ferret

                     dgrev@ruralnet.net.au