Re: [MV] Shipping saga. Be wary of Freightquote dot com

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 12:38:36 PDT

JJ&A <w7ls@blarg.net> wrote:
> If you have to ship something via truck, take a look at alternatives to
> freightquote.com. I had poor results from them.

I also had very poor results with them. I didn't talk to them, but the
guy who sold me a generator acoustic suppression kit used them to ship
it. Per my requirements, he specified a Saturday delivery date, and
the trucker was supposed to arrive in a 4-hour window and call me on
my cell phone so I could find him at the airport where I keep some of
my stuff. I waited there all day. When I called the trucking company
(Crescent Truck Lines) on the following Monday, they informed me that
they don't do Saturday deliveries without a surcharge of about $800,
due to their union requirements to have twelve guys standing around
scratching their butts in order to do anything (OK, I exaggerated a
bit). They couldn't re-ship to my home or work address on a weekday
without an OK from freightquote.com for legal reasons. They never
heard anything about the Saturday delivery or my cell phone number
from freightquote.com. I ended up taking off time from work to drive
to their depot, uncrating the kit there, and putting the pieces in my
little 4Runner. I'll never use freightquote.com, and I'm not too happy
with Crescent, either.

I've had good results with White Brokerage at 877-922-4212. I used
them on two occasions based on a recommendation from my hangar-mate's
wife (who does a lot of shipping at her workplace). I shipped a
1.5-ton trailer with a 10 kW DED generator on it, and my 5-ton
wrecker, both from Wisconsin to southern CA. I recommend them, and I
also recommend getting three or more quotes when practical. Trucking
quotes vary widely, depending on many factors such as availability of
partially-loaded trailers or back-hauls going in the right direction
at the time of shipment.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/