WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #52

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 12:27:01 PDT

Got home from work yesterday and found a UPS package on the step, my cross
member / hat channel replacement, all the way from Utica New York! It has
more rust than the one that came off the truck, so I asked Western
Sandblasting to clean it up (they promise not to loose it this time.) I'll
pick it up today after work.

I cleaned up the truck once more before primer. Air hosed and then wiped
everything down again with Naphtha and a tack cloth. I then set up the box
fans to provide air flow through my painting tent and discovered two
problems. A) Could not find the duct tape. B) I'd used up my furnace
filters. I had 10 minutes before the hardware store closed so I changed
quick and dashed off.

This is not a big hardware store, but besides the duct tape and filters I
lucked out and found the light gray paint for the engine I've been
searching for! Machine & Implement Rust Stop (#17139 Ford Gray).

I finished setting up the "booth" and mixed the self etching primer. I put
the respirator on I went after it. This primer wasn't cheap, but it sure
works nice. About two hours into things I realized I was working in a big
primer cloud and had to stop and change the filters on the fans, but all in
all everything went well. Despite my prep efforts the first primer coat
revealed several little problems I should fix before the next coat. That
will probably be tonight's work, along with welding the cross members back in.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall