Re: [MV] Saracen questions

From: Mike S (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 23:21:12 PDT

The all important test when considering the purchase of Saracen, Saladin or
Stalwart is to make sure the final drives are lined up. You can do this by
ensuring that the oil filler plugs on each hub down either side of the
vehicle are pointing at the same imaginary hour of the clock on each hub.
If they are not and one hub has its drain plug in a different relative
position it will be broken. Be prepared for immediate complicated and
expensive repairs if you want to have a 6x6 drive. (the plugs can be in
different relative positions on either side so long as they line up when you
look down any one side).

All this series are prone to band wear in the transmission - particularly in
1st and 2nd gears resulting in a 'slipping clutch' feeling. Start the
vehicle and make sure it pulls in 1st and 2nd. If it doesn't pull in any of
the gears, leave it in that gear and pump the change pedal 10 times (would
be the clutch pedal on any other vehicle). The bands are self adjusting when
you pump the pedal. If you still don't get any drive it will be gearbox out
and replace the band to fix the problem.

Cheers. Mike S. RR Services Ltd. UK