Dave Decker

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 06:00:49 PDT

Listers,

Some of you may remember David C. Decker, who was a regular on this list
up until a couple of years ago. He'd done a tour in Viet Nam in M48s,
then another as a Scout Gunner, and was interested not only in armour
but in Mules and Unimogs.

Anyway, I'm sorry to have to say that I just learned my friend Dave
'transformed his positive attitude into a positive spirit and left this
world for a better place', last Tuesday, May 8th. He was 51. For almost
20 years, he had been fighting a rare and untreatable cancer generated
by exposure to Agent Orange. The last two years were very hard for him,
which is why he had virtually disappeared. I last spoke to him on the
phone about three weeks ago, and he knew his time was closing. His
courage was remarkable, his love of life unshakeable.

A while back, he had me start a website about his experiences, but his
illness prevented him from inputting a lot of the background text, the
stories he wanted to tell. Still, what's here is staying there, and in
time his wife will give me some more to add in:

http://www.class-five.com/decker

I thought some of you might like to know. One of your more courageous
warriors has gone to his reward.

--
Thanks,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada