Re: [MV] Cracked MB Block - any suggestions ?

From: Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 09:04:19 PDT

> If the crack is above the drive orifice or worse still somewhere inside
the
> shaft housing, in my opinion the block is scrap......
> In this case it's my practice to put a sledgehammer through the side
> to prevent some enthusuiast from 'rescuing' the faulty block at the scrap
> yard and passing his bodged repair onto someone else.

Maybe in the UK you have to do this, but welding technology has improved
since the stone ages you describe. The problem of repairs failing is
because the repair wasn't performed properly to begin with, not that you
can't repair cracks.

To repair this block, take it to one of the plethora of companies that have
an entire business designed around doing what Mike says is impossible.
These are:

Excelsweld USA
1231 16th Ave
Oakland, CA 94606
United States
800-743-4323
Fax: 510-534-1107

Rite Weld Co
10 Northfield Rd
Wallingford, CT 06492
203-265-5984
Fax: 203-284-5063

Casting Salvage Technologies
26 Potomac Creek Dr
Falmouth, VA 22405
United States
800-833-8814
Fax: 540-659-9453

I have used the later and they are very good. What will come into play is
that it might be more economical to find an engine number close to yours
than it is to weld up the original since the MB engine blocks did not have a
direct correlation to the vehicle serial number. Save the old block.
Technology is getting better and better and when all the UK blocks have
sledgehammers through them, you can sell it to them and make some
money......

Todd Paisley