L134 engine rebuild

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 21:17:05 PDT

I have 2 different flat head 4 cylinder Willys engines I am
having my father in law rebuild. He is an old tractor guy and
is doing it free as he might end up with a jeep out of the deal.

First engine is a MCXXXX or M38 engine. The cylinders were
already bored to 30 over, but had a lot of wear in cylinder walls.
Looks like it will be 60 over bored. Thought some one had told me
I might have to rejet carb when going this far and then someone else said
it wouldn't be a problem. Anybody had this problem. all the other bearings
seem to be ok. Block is getting Boiled is there something that caused
this excessive wear (engine seems great shape other than cylinder wall
wear)?
engine has .070 hole for timing gear oiler, If I understood some
December discussions the port needed to be lowered to .040.

I bought another L134, all machine shop work done (rebored .030 over
pistons, crank ground ect...). camshaft and valves installed in block, but
everything else needed put back together. Top of engine planed down so no
serial number, I'll get a casting number when I get up there, my engine
rebuilder (father in law)
told me one piston has a lot of machining done to the inside compared to
the others is there a special place for this? Also is there supposed to be
differences in
rods like 1 and 3 are same and 2 and 4 same? I thought they all were the
same?

My father in law is really sharp and is not afraid to do some calling or
further
research to get things right (was in charge of engine shop for A-7 Corsairs
and
then F-16s before retirement). I'd like to help him out all I could. Would
love to find
a good book or manual (have M38 engine one).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Thanks as always from us guys who sit back and mainly read this list because
most
of our questions are answered before we can post them.

Mike in Iowa
mleaton@netins.net
Iowa MVPA Website: http://showcase.netins.net/web/iamvpa/