RE: [MV] GSA Sale in Minnesota

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 14:37:26 PDT

Ron,

I have talked to Steve Rodriguez, the contact person at the Minnesota SASP.
He and his crew look through the DRMO listings, before they are posted for
bid by the general public. They select items that they think will be useful
to other governmental agencies within the state of Minnesota and request
them. The SASP can obtain these items for free from the DRMO, but they have
to pay for shipping the items from the DRMO to the SASP. He generally gets
his stuff from DRMO Duluth, DRMO Sparta, and DRMO Great Lakes. It isn't cost
effective for him to pay a commercial trucker to go any further than that to
pick up his loads.

The SASP then takes these items and sells them to other government agencies
such as Sheriffs Departments, Civil Defense, Counties, Municipalities, and
state agencies. The wreckers that they have on their sales listing are
marked $5000.00 on the doors. That's what a local municipality would pay for
one. You might be able to get it for less at an auction, but I honestly
don't know. I believe that the M36A2's are priced at $2000.00 and the
Pioneer Tool Trailers are around $400.00. Obviously, they are hoping to get
the best possible price for each item that is sold. I don't know the
details, but I assume that the State of Minnesota gets a percentage of the
sale price, and the Federal Government gets the rest. After all, this
auction is being conducted by the GSA, not the State.

 They also make items like pencils, paper, marking pens, tape, and other
"office" type products available to day care centers and schools. They will
acquire surplus musical instruments that military bands no longer need and
sell them to local schools for the cost of transporting them to the SASP
from the DRMO. Essentially, they are another step in the DRMO cycle,
although they are a state agency. DRMO stands for Defense Reutilization and
Marketing Office. A state SASP is another method of attempting to REUTILIZE
surplus Federal property.

The SASP also handles surplus state and municipal property. This particular
SASP has three or four auctions every year in which they sell off old State
Patrol cruisers, used dump trucks, old machine tools, kitchen equipment, and
all of the other used equipment that is generated in the Northern Metro
Region of the Twin Cities. There are probably about 6-8 people working at
this SASP. There are perhaps another half dozen SASP's located around the
state. I hope that this answers some of your questions. I can't claim that I
fully understand the SASP system, but I do believe that the above statements
are reasonably accurate.

John