WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #56

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 12:06:48 PDT

I visited with the paint store manager yesterday and he suggested the poor
primer performance was caused by the air pressure being too high at the
gun. I didn't have a gage at the gun and the one at the water separator
has been erratic, so I picked up a combination gage/valve for the gun. I
also strained the primer.

Well, it still gave me a hard time.... a lot less spitting, but rough, dry
finish to the primer. I had everything setup and mixed, so I dialed the
flow rate way down and went slow. This helped a bit, but I'm still looking
at a lot of sanding. Finally, as I was finishing up that batch of primer I
found what might be the problem. I took the tip off the gun to clean the
it and found condensation in there. I drain a lot of water from the
separator every night, so I know it's working, but apparently it's not
enough. I'm going to see what I can find to go in line just ahead of the gun.

2nd coat of primer is on now anyway. Some sanding required then maybe spot
prime again then we'll see about paint.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA