Re: [MV] [MVlist] WW2 Patent Rights - was Jerry Can Funny Business

From: Larry Mayo (hmayo@lucent.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 08:00:22 PDT

Jeanne Lacourse wrote:

> Subject: RE: [MVlist] WW2 Patent Rights - was Jerry Can Funny Business
>
> During WW2, The US Government did not recognize as valid ANY
> patents from enemy Governments, as far as I know. Not only that,
> but the Patent Office was actively involved in procuring blue
> prints to whomever wanted them.

I can't remember the source, but I recently read an article about the
patents looted from Germany after the war that were worth billions of
dollars by now, if not trillions. One mentioned was clorinated paraffin,
which was an oil that didn't break down under high speed use, and methyl
cellulose which was developed in Germany as a thickener in synthetic food,
and is now used in shampoo and other products. I wonder if those patents
that were taken after the war are subject to litigation.

                                                        Larry