Re: [MV] Armed Forces Weekend Events

From: Jay (dagobertii@home.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 09:59:53 PDT

Sad to say, Joe, but you're probably right. I bet if you polled 100
high school students here in Tennessee, probably 80 of them would say
that Alvin York was "that guy that invented the York Air Conditioner".
My father was a Korean War vet, and the way he was treated when he came
back was no small part of why I never joined the service when I was
younger. That, and there wasn't a CIC that I would have risked my life
for since Ronald Reagan. And unless we get in a shooting war with Red
China sometime soon, I doubt I ever will. Don't get me wrong; I have a
lot of respect for those who fought in Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf War.
But I also believe that it has become the status quo in this country to
risk the lives of its troops on serving partisan political agendas
rather than on defending the USA, and while I would still fight to
defend my country if called, I would not be so quick to volunteer myself
into harm's way so that, for example, Bill Clinton could cause a
"distraction" from his own marital infidelities. That, to me, is just
not worth dying over.

Jay Travis