Re: Alvin York and his air conditioners...

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 12:16:19 PDT

Jay,
You have a perfect...er, well, imperfect, right to that opinion, but alas, it is a dangerous one.

>> I bet if you polled 100 high school students here in >>Tennessee, probably 80 of them would say that Alvin >>York was "that guy that invented the York Air >>Conditioner".

Yes, and 80 of them would also vote Clinton back in, 80 of them would willingly line up to get their firearms registered/confiscated, and 80 of them think that Argentina is an Italian food, and Pearl Harbor is a famous jazz singer. The point is, a country can't always set foreign policy consistent with the socioeconomic climates in backward areas. (read most of middle America nowdays due to poor schooling in history) You have to elect great leaders, then support them with your life, your limbs, and your money. If you elect a guy who can't drive the bus, you better have good seatbelts.

>>My father was a Korean War vet, and the way he was >>treated when he came back was no small part of why I >>never joined the service when I was younger. That, >>and there wasn't a CIC that I would have risked my >>life for since Ronald Reagan. And unless we get in a >>shooting war with Red China sometime soon, I doubt I >>ever will.

It would be nice if the choice were that clear for everyone, but some of us have more complex thought processes. Not everyone who serves is being "duped" by big government. Some of us are just willing to fight, and some of us are not. Some things never change.

>>Don't get me wrong; I have a lot of respect for those >>who fought in Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf War.

Yeah, I can tell by the brand of your philosphy. The airport terminal was full of you guys when I came home.
>>But I also believe that it has become the status quo >>in this country to risk the lives of its troops on >>serving partisan political agendas....

Most wars involve the struggle to maintain a brand of politics of one flavor or another. Few indeed are as cut and dry as the "one you're waiting for".

>> ... and while I would still fight to defend my >>country if called, I would not be so quick to >>volunteer myself into harm's way so that, for >>example, Bill Clinton could cause a "distraction" from >>his own marital infidelities. That, to me, is just
>>not worth dying over.

What can I say, Jay? The liberal media have done their job well with you. Good grief man, can't you find anything else in our foreign campaigns that might shed some salvaging light on them?
I have never spoken out publicly on the worthiness of war, any war, because I always believes that such things are self evident. I'm a vet of the Viet Nam conflict, and if I had so little faith in my system that I believed as you do, I would not be able to live with myself. Enjoy your disrespectful views, because folks like me are pledged tom and DO indeed, defend them. Next time you eat out, try the Argentina..it's great!
OB MV content: The big white star doesn't mean that Jay Leno is inside....
Sorry guys, but I'm peeved.
Jack, spitting and sputtering

Jay Travis