[MV] M211 and power steering

From: Hummer1234@aol.com
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 16:55:49 PDT

Greetings listers,

For those of you with experience on the old M211, I have a question: Have you
heard of a power steering conversion for the M211? I'd be particularly
interested in a hydraulic conversion but air assist would be OK too.

For a little background, I have an exceptionally nice 1952 M211 that was
lovingly restored by a friend and when it went up for sale, it had to follow
me home. I also have a Cummins 5.9 liter turbo-Diesel with a 4 speed
automatic with a total of 28,000 miles. I think this truck and
engine/transmission need to get together and give me the best of both worlds.
 I think the M211 is the best looking "duce-and-a-half" and with a modern
engine/transmission, it would be a good runner too.

In looking at the Cummins, I saw it has a power steering pump on an accessory
pad below the injection pump. I could remove the pump but since its there,
why not use it for power steering?

For those of you that are gasping about me screwing up a perfectly good
truck, I plan to remove the original engine/transmission/hi-lo gearbox and
palletize them. I will then preserve them so the truck can be returned to
it's original state should the next owner decide he wants it that way.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Stuart Robinson
Redmond, WA
Lots of British things and a couple of American ones thrown in for good
measure.