M37 gear oil after replacing broken stud

From: John Doyle (jdoyle@writeme.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 15:33:32 PDT

Thanks for the quick responses. I was about to roll out with
the rubber mallet when I remembered...

There's always that "one more detail" that gets left out:

I am not able to open the fill cap on the rear axle at this
point. I would suspect removing the end cap to replace
the broken stud is going leak the gear oil out?

I don't have a torch to heat the fill cap at the moment. I
was thinking about picking one up this evening and tag
teaming the fill cap with the torch and a ball-peen hammer
(lightly) tomorrow. Is this the way to get that fill cap out?
And do I need to hold off on the axle cap until then?

Thanks,
John