5-ton winch/hoist cable and fitting specs

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 10:57:29 PDT

In the parts manuals for my M543A2 (M39 series) 5-ton wrecker, I could
not find the cables and cable fittings for the winches and hoist. I
was hoping to at least find NSNs for the components, so I could look
up the specs and find proper replacement parts.

Can anybody tell me the specifications and composition of any or all
of the winch or hoist cables and fittings on 5-ton trucks, so that
I'll know what to buy if and when I need to replace anything?

For example, the clevis end fitting on my front winch has a cracked
clamping nut, so I'd like to replace the fitting. I need to know what
kind of cable is used (i.e., 6x19 fiber core, 6x19 IWRC, 7x7, 7x19,
etc) so that I can order the proper fitting, and I don't have enough
experience with wire rope to be able to tell the difference yet.

On a related note, my rear winch cable has a pretty thorough coating
of grease and dirt. Is there a recommended way to clean and
re-lubricate the cable?

Thanks in advance!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/