Fw: doh..

From: Boomer Shapiro (shapir0@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 02:39:37 PDT

Ignore everything, I checked up on this.

THE E-MAIL IS A HOAX. The file is a valid Microsoft exe.

Following is from Symantec's site
(http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html) You
can't download a file to your hard drive without being aware you have (and I
knew I hadn't so I checked).

The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil. The original email is
in Portuguese; it is followed by an English translation.

CAUTION: This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned
in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is
used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected
by a virus that targets .exe files.

The accompanying message says something like:

Do you believe that a friend of mine sent me an alert and the procedure that
we have to follow for the possible infection of SULFNBK.EXE. And I had
checked, just to make sure. An then... the file was there, hidden even of
McAfee and Norton, maybe waiting something to start work.
Well, see bellow the procedure that I followed step by step, and I found the
file:

1. Start/Find Folders. Type the file name: SULFNBK.EXE
2. If it find, open Windows Explorer, browse into the folder where the file
is and delete it. Do not click with left button on the file and do not open
it.
3. Just delete it
4. Mine was on Windows/Command
5. The virus from the person who gave the alert was on Windows/Config

Yes, Norton and McAfee do not detect it.
We do not know if it makes some damage on the machine, but I think that
anybody will not want to test it to know, will it?
Folks, this is not a fun, I delete it from my computer.
And my definitions are updated.
Do it the same, ok?

Symantec's advice.

Category: Hoax

Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages.
Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to further propagate it.

  Robyn