Re: [MVlist] Nuts and bolts of the matter...

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 11:57:48 PDT

Bill

The sizing system does indeed refer to the actual dimension of the connector
( bolt or nut ) itself and not the dimension of the head, or the part that
the wrench or socket turns.

For example a typical 1/2" course thread hex head bolt is the same 'size' as
a 1/2" course thread socketed head bolt, or a torx headed bolt.

If memory serves me correct, and it sometimes does fail me, the usual wrench
dimension will be 3/16" larger than the fastener size. Such as a 3/8 bolt
taking a 9/16 wrench, a 7/16 bolt taking a 5/8 wrench, a 1/2 bolt taking a
11/16, and so on.

What really gets confusing is sorting through that bin of course, fine,
ACME, style threads, and then getting over into the various metric
variations of thread pitches to boot.

It's enough to add to hair loss!

John