Re: [MVlist] Nuts and bolts of the matter...

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 15:14:52 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "William R. Benson" <benson@eqe.com>
To: <mil-veh-oc@onelist.com>; <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>;
<MVlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 7:39 PM
Subject: [MVlist] Nuts and bolts of the matter...

> Hello Listers!
>
> Here's hoping that U.S. Folks had a safe and memorable weekend, and that
our
> world-wide members are enjoying good health as well...
>
> Question Regarding the fastener sizes found in U.S. TMs.
>
> I've been putting my M-37 back together by the books, and the book is
confusing
> the devil out of me...
>
> The book tells me to secure something with a "7/16th inch bolt", but when
I find
> the right bolt, my 7/16th inch socket doesn't fit it. I measure the
diameter of
> the shaft , and it is indeed 7/16th inch, but the bolt head fits my 3/4
inch
> socket.
>
> Now, what gives? Am I being foolish? Any suggestions?

Ah, vital bit of definition missing, your socket and spanners (wrenches) are
defined as "AF" or "across flats" which will be very different from the
actual bolt diameter size. So its quite correct to refer to a 7/16" bolt
which will actually be that size in diameter but have a hex head of 3/4"AF.

Richard
Southampton - England