M35 noises

From: k, d, j, m, & a miller (thisoldhouse@libcom.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 17:44:59 PDT

On the way home from a Memorial Day parade,
my 1970 M35A2 made a few squealing noises,
like a fan belt slipping, and then a terrible grinding
noise. The squeals lasted about 3 seconds followed
by about 2 seconds of the grind. I was going
straight down a level road at about 35 mph. It
appeared to come from the front of the truck.

I looked over the truck, nothing out of sorts.

I took the truck out for a little drive today with
no bad sounds.

Thinking the sound came from the front differential,
I drained the fluid. I got about 5 quarts of foamy,
tan colored fluid. The magnet on the drain plug had
about a thimble full of small metal particles. The
particles were just large enough to feel between my
finger and thumb. No large pieces or filings.

Has anyone any ideas what the sound could have
been?

thanks,

kurt