HMMWV fan clutch hydraulic fittings

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 22:18:41 PDT

Hi, folks. I'll be replacing the alternator and power-steering belts
in my 1986 M998 HMMWV soon. It is necessary to disconnect the
hydraulic line leading to the fan clutch to get the belts on and off.
According to my TMs, some HMMWVs have a quick-disconnect fitting at
the fan clutch, to make the job easier. Unfortunately, my truck is not
one of them. As long as I need to disconnect the hose anyway, maybe I
ought to add a quick-disconnect fitting so that the job will be easier
next time.

I can probably measure the hydraulic system pressure if a thorough
reading of all of my TMs doesn't reveal that the useful information
censors accidentally let the system pressure ratings slip through, and
I can then pick some hydraulic quick-disconnect fitting from the
McMaster-Carr catalog that looks appropriate. However, if anybody
happens to know what kind of fitting is used on the luckier HMMWV's
fan clutches, or the hydraulic system's maximum operating pressure, or
even has part numbers for some suitable civilian replacement for the
quick-disconnect, that would save me a bit of extra work, and reduce
the size of the ATF puddle on my garage floor.

I know this one's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask! Thanks in
advance...

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/