Re: [MV] Spool up M.A.N. 8X8 M1014s, etc.

From: Carl Payne (cpayne@demi.net)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 22:47:30 PDT

On Thu, 31 May 2001 JaxInCalifornia@aol.com wrote:

>Does anyone know if the M.A.N.s get axle spool up common with Saracens and
>Ferrets?

They do not. At least, not the M1001, M1002, M1003 and M1004. What color
are the axles? Lavender/white under green/grey: no. Blue/grey under
anything else? I don't know, but doubt it.

MAN have been TERRIFIC in terms of factory support for my '02; I'd be
shocked if a polite email didn't get you all your questions answered. I'm
just a fan, they build 'em. :-)

>Also curious, can any of the axles be disengaged for free wheeling
>and a little better mileage?

I have an M1002, and it's as easy as flipping a switch. In fact, each axle
has a 3-position switch to go from open to drive to locked, which would be
great if you get in a stuckie and don't want to splash dirt from the least
effective tire.

>I was told diesel does not go bad, that water contamination may be about the
>only thing to worry about, any opinions on that?

In comparison, it doesn't go bad. In real life, it does. It can get
algae, water from tank condensation, rust, dirt...all the usual "gas
tank-itis." Usually takes many many moons to go bad, though.

Carl

e pluribus unix