CCKW resto update.....110hrs...PTO winches & shear pins

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 03:38:40 PDT

Greetings,
                I havnt been on the list for a while,
however i have recently did some more work on my jimmy.

I was pleased to find the front brake cylinders had been re-sleeved in
brass.
 my starter brushes are cactus, so i have ordered a new set + water pump
kit.
The radiator i am repairing, as it is a brass work of art(not original).

I have fabricated a new exhaust system.

was able to obtain a NOS Carter WA1 carbie, an exact fit for the leaky W1,
once again this is not original.....does anyone know what they are off?
I was told Studebakers had em.

the bonnet is hard to fix, it is increadibly dented. i dont think it will
ever be perfect.

All the talk of winches, electric vs hydraulic makes me curious re my
Gar-Wood 10,000lb PTO winch.

        The shear-pin is missing, replaced by a bolt. I am not to keen on this
I have tried to obtain a shear pin, but havnt been able to so far.

Does anyone know where i can obtain one?

The winch has a 1/2 inch cable, and seems like it will pull a lot more
than 5 tons- I was told they will pull 30 ton concrete agitators up a steep
slope,
by several people
who saw such things done by the Italian operators, they also broke
axles, and were such serious winchers they installed a hydraulic
winch, that sat on top of the pto winch, cause it was faster.
they used this to erect HV electricity towers
All the bumpers, fairleads etc are ultra-heavy duty fabrications.

I am curious how they rate winches. My Ramsey 8000 on my Scout
is electric...i cannot for the life of me see that with 3/8 cable
it would be even close to the Gar-wood...i have been led to believe
that the rating is the amount the winch will deadlift on its first wrap.
I would not like to try that with the electric 8000.

I presume military spec would be definately 5 ton deadlift, with plenty of
margin.

the only other thing i can report is that i went to look at a CCKW a while
back.
turned out to be a real bummer tho, as when i got to the god-forsaken area
i was supposed to meet the bloke he did not turn up, i found out why later,
but never got to see the truck!! on the way back i got lost, had car trouble
and fell ill, having to stop repeatedly to vomit...did i say it was raining
and dark and extremely mountainous?...or that i was towing a heavy trailer?
i also had to cross 2 rivers on ferries!!! I am serious, please feel free to
laugh.

                                                        regards tony