GMC A Universal Truck

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 18:32:20 PDT

Forgot to mention that i did recieve my copy of the above title, obtained
with thanks to
Portrayl Press.
It is a good book for devotees, with 250 glossy pages, filled with photos.
Interesting snnippets like that there are 9300 odd items to assemble a CCKW
and that a complete overhaul should take 280 hrs.

That compares with the 300 hrs i had imagined it would take me to restore
mine.
I am close to schedule, a little behind i guess. I hope and believe that i
am within
30-50 hrs of having near completed all necessary mechnical overhauls, such
that the vehicle
is fully driveable, the next step, after attending to sheet metal repair,
painting and
electrics for road use, i will hopefully obtain what is known as "club
registration"

This is availabe to members of authorised vehicle clubs, where the vehicle
is over 30 yrs
One needs to obtain a "pink slip" from a authorised inspecting mechanic to
certify
roadworthiness, conduct a brake test with machine etc. Then the Motor
Transport
Department allows rego for restricted use for concessional cost.

Full road rego is possible, and i am aiming for it, but things are getting
more difficult'
especially in respect of pollution output, and even bullbars. Also more
difficult to get
the roadworthy, as one needs a "blue slip" for previously unrego vehicles.
There are less people who issue them, they cost more, and i dont think they
will
initially be all that keen on blue slipping a 59 yr old truck, so it will
have to be near perfect
for that, and probably prior to any proposed pollutin measures.

                                                                regards tony