Tore apart the Willys Jeep Sat. afternoon

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 21:18:06 PDT

Hello again. Jeepman and Tom E. and listers:

I tore it apart the (bargain)Jeep CJ5 -this afternoon... using an oxy/acet
torch right down to the chassis.

The overly huge/large and heavy plow did a real number on the front chassis
rails they are however, salvageable. The middle of the chassis is good...
however, the back end crossmembers are rotted out.

Although the back end Chassis is still together (in one piece) some new
frame or box welding and crossmembers would need to be done. to preserve
this Chassis.
The question is... do I need this frame for any reason ?

I bought this jeep for several reasons, it has an excellent running Ford
GPW
(GPW is cast into the flathead)
...engine with a serial number of U23306 (above water pump)
I also have the previous engine, a dead Willys flathead (serial number
H310964)
 However, the guy (PO) bought "running" GPW fully rebuilt from a local Napa
store in 1984
He used it as a daily drive for a couple of years then only as a snow plow.
The body, (CJ5 - 1960 model) was totally rusted out and there is little to
rebuild so I decided to scrap it ..

The other neat feature is that it has front axles locks !
A question here...
Are the locks standard on CJ 5s ?

Also, there's a Warn Overdrive installed.

As I looked over all the spare parts, I have a hardtop - spare grille &
Radiator and a never used new front pipe & rear tailpipe..
I paid $350 for this Jeep Running.
A bargain, especially, if I part it out, some ? I think I will go to the
G503 message board site and check to see if anyone has the similar
Tub/chassis numbers. Then what, who knows, I might put this engine into
one of my CJ2As

Mike, Jeepman515... I still did not get to check the wheels sorry. I will
do that Sunday morning for you. Perhaps I can get a picture off also.
Maybe if they're correct, we could work something out ?

Another Question.
Mike, do you have a picture of an "original" wheel (to send) or the wheels
that are presently on your vehicle???

Regards Rob Pearson
aka Ol' Jeep Breath
42MB and a pride of CJ2As and more.