RE: [MV] hummer for sale 50+ grand

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 06:10:30 PDT

Ken,

I checked out the site and noticed that the current bid of $50,400.00 still
has not met the reserve price. Since they say that it cost over $100,000.00
new, I would guess that they are looking for something around $80,000.00 to
$85,000.00 for it.

I'm not surprised that it has never been off road. According to a study done
by either Road and Track, or Car and Driver magazine (I heard their Editor
on a radio interview, but I just can't remember which magazine it was),
fully 85% of all four wheel drive vehicles purchased in the United States
are never driven off-road. They defined off-road as an unpaved surface that
would not normally be described as a road.

I would have to agree with you. I would certainly buy a surplus HMMWV before
I even thought about buying a HUMMER. Of course, I'm poor. I don't have an
extra $100,000.00 laying around that I can spend on a toy. If I could only
figure out a way to get everybody on the List to send me $100.00, I just
might be able to afford to buy one HUMMER. On the other hand, for
$100,000.00 I could buy a couple dozen deuces, a few 5 tons, a wrecker, a
few CUCV's, some tents, a couple of Sea-Land containers, and some spare
parts. I could have my own Motor Pool! Of course, it would be a lot more
work than owning a HUMMER, but I suspect that it might be a bit more fun,
too.

My $.02 worth. (plus 6.5% Minnesota Sales Tax)

John

John