G.M.C. CCKW352B1

From: rich (r3engineering@pionexnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:17:11 PDT

Evening group,
I have come across a problem with my truck, wilst rebuilding the brakes and
wheel bearings (split axles) through-out the truck I discovered this.

On the wheel bearings there is the felt grease seal furthest in on each hub
then there is the inner bearing then a space for grease then the outer
bearing, next to this is a washer (1) keyed to the axle shaft, next is the
main bearing adjusting nut (1a) then another washer (2) keyed to the axle
shaft as well, then the last lock nut (2a).
The washer (1) is the same as washer (2) which is just thin steel approx
1mm designed to be bent over both nut 1a and 2a to prevent them from undoing
or altering the bearing adjustment. But on one of the hubs I found a thick
approx 4mm hardened steel washer in position (1) still keyed to axle shaft.

Now due to the fact that the outer bearings could and do rotate on the axle
shafts it would grind into the mild steel washers (1) and cause damage, so I
would suspect that the hub with the hardened steel one is correct and all
the others are wrong???

I dont seem to be able to find this hardened washer in parts suppliers ie R
and R services or Rex Wards any help on this please, as to which is the
right or wrong ones???

Richard