WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry# 65

From: Chris Davis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 12:28:42 PDT

First, let me thank everyone for their responses to Entry #64. I'm not
going to have time to respond individually, but let me respond to a couple
re-occurring points in those posts.

It is only an old army truck and wasn't likely to be perfectly painted in
the first place, or remain that way for long. I'll grant that point, and
it's actually one of the things I like about the hobby. But, I went
through so much effort to get down to bare metal, it seams a great pity to
screw it up with a bad primer coat.

It's not the end of the world, far greater calamities can befall a
person. True, and I count my blessings that I'm wringing my hands over
this and not one of those greater events in our lives.

As for reactions between the paints, I don't think so, 65 to 70% of the
truck came out fine, it would be a more wide spread problem if chemical.

Surface contamination. The surface was clean. No grease, dirt, oil, or
silicon. The airline hose is and has been used for paint only, no
automatic tool oiler in the system.

Water from condensation MAY have been a factor, but there is a large water
separator at the compressor, and I added a disposable trap at the
gun. Also, the first primer coat, and Color coat went on just fine.

I really think I was using ether A) a really poor quality primer, B) a
really high quality primer that was just too sensitive for my spay gun...,
or C) Mislabeled reducer. (paint guy assures me it was the correct stuff.)

But enough postmortem.

Last night Deryk let me use his palm sized 1/4 sheet electric sander and it
worked nicely for removing the color coat and the primer down to where the
pitting finally went away. The Dark OD contrast nicely with the gray
primer and I could be certain the offending area was smooth before moving on.

I had to do the passenger door, and the panel aft of that, beneath and
around the middle window on that side.

I'll have smaller areas to sand down on the driver's side tonight.

Hopefully I'll be painting again Friday evening.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and encouragement.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall