Re: [MV] MUTT tune up

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 21:31:44 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "GR Goebel" <ihc53@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 9:35 AM
Subject: [MV] MUTT tune up

> What recommended items would I need
> to purchase for a MUTT tune up? Is there
> a kit or something I can get that has all
> the necessary items?
>
> After finally getting it registured and licenced,
> I filled up the tank with regular unleaded and it
> seemed to run fine for about an hour. Then it
> started cutting out and sputtering when I gave it
> some gas. It died a few times. Lots of back
> fires and misses.
>

> What say the experts?!

The problem with the 151 Zenith carbs is that a single G22A screw-in type
filter just doesn't cut it for filtering out the crud from the bottom of
your fuel tank, and many of the Canadian vehicles actually went to a two
filter system: retaining the G22A, and adding the common in-line type to the
fuel line immediately before it. Most of the 151 problems I've had to deal
with on film sets are related to one filter or the other becoming virtually
impassable due to buildup.

Secondly, if you're driving your 151 and it backfires on deceleration or
won't idle worth a damn, the chances are very great that the long, slender
venturi/tube (brass coloured, of course) which resides in the tallest part
of the bottom half of your carb is plugged. The tube *usually* comes out
by upending the bottom half of the carb over your hand or your workbench,
but be very, very careful that you don't lose the little rubber gasket that
sits over the bottom half of the tube. Sometimes it remains inside the
bottom of the carb, sometimes it comes out with the tube, and sometimes the
guy who pulled it apart before you did left it out upon reassembly.

Also, even on freshly rebuilt carbs and engines timed exactly to spec, I
find that they like to run smoothly at highway rpm/fuel demand situations
only if the choke is out approximately 1/8th inch or so. I've driven tons
of 'em, and I think exactly one ran properly on the highway without the
choke partially on. Someone suggested way-back-when that the reason for
this was some design problem related to jet diameter, but I've never been
able to track it down.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.