Fw: [MV] GPW drag link

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 04:00:20 PDT

: Re: [MV] GPW drag link

 Hello Patrick, it's Rob here. I did purchased one from Walcks in Pa. as
mine was damaged.
It was very inexpensive too ! It came with the new springs & there was a big
difference.
 My jeep is a '42MB The overal length of the old springs were similar to
the new springs, however, the tension was noticeably greater.

 Next, I went to a garage sale and bought a leather purse/handbag for $2.50
It was smooth leather about 1/8th. inch thick. This worked excellent for the
flexable dustcover. The metal "clip / cover" part was also in useable
condition too.

Although, I had to reshape it some... It did have a far too relaxed curve
at first. I also presoaked the leather in oil, then assembled the pieces.

 For the hole in the leather I cut several "slits" as one might slice a
pie... and carefully worked the leather over the "ball ends" keeping the
hole as small as possible for maximum "dust" protection.
 A year later... it is still in place & working just fine.

 I also purchased the Bellcrank bearings and wheel cylinders from the same
guy. His prices were reasonable, and his delivery time was excellent !

 I was thinking that I might go back in one day and replace the leather with
 some "modern rubber or neoprene product" that I would cut from a piece of
an existing boot from underneath of a late model junked vehicle ???
 Not done that yet.

 Regards
 Aussie Rob
 42MB and a gaggle 0f CJ2As