Welding Gas tanks successfully

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 04:58:20 PDT

Hello Listers Ive welded a few over the years. I was 18 when I did my first
one and was a little scared ...but, confident.

My plan was similar to most of the MV Postings that I read this morning
however, with one big exception.

I did "not" get the WHOOMPF !

First, I removed the sending unit and fuel outlet pipe.
This left me with two large holes and the small 5/16th" hole.

I gently mixed by hand about 1/3rd. of a cup of liquid washing detergent
with about a gallon of water in a bucket.

I poured that mix into the tank. Because of the large awkward size, two of
us, gently sloshed "the mix" around in the tank until all ares of metal had
been coated with the heavily soaped mix.

(At that time, I discovered that oil and oil products are dissolved by a
liberal amount of detergent ...so, don't wimp on it, OK ! )

Next we added more water and filled the tank temporarily covering any holes
until the tank was totally full of water.

I lit the welding torch (with a small tip) and aimed the flame right at the
filler neck hole. On this tank, the filler neck was "basically" the highest
point.

As We let the water out, the flame of the torch ate up or burned up, any
excess of the fuel vapors or fumes that were still present !

And they were definitely "still" present.

However, at no time did we get or see a flash of any amount due to the
water exposing the bare metal.

No doubt, that the pore of the metal still held fuel / vapors in microscopic
amounts, however, when the water was draining out we "still" continued with
the flame until the tank was empty. Then I started welding/brazing
immediately.

Over the years I have done at least 5-plus tanks, using this method without
any loss of eyebrows or pubic hair.. ( ...a hint - never, ever, straddle the
tank you're working on ....just in case - LOL)

I was 18 and broke when I did my first tank. I had to play the mother of
invention. or suffer without wheels !
A boy has to do what is required, and I figured that if fumes in a hollow
container are dangerous, then fill the hollow and burn off the residual
gas/vapors constantly in small increments by releasing the water

Now for the Naysayers on the list...
if your unsure, then Don't do it !
If you don't like the music, then change the station
Flame me if you want to but, I've been to the gastank mountain and returned
to tell about.

Regards,
Old Jeep Breath