Re: [MV]Welding/repair technique question

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 10:59:58 PDT

I have not read the flames around this subject but would like to share
my personal experience brazing a gas tank.

I removed a tank from a 65 Lincoln once that had developed a rust
through leak.The tank had a top and bottom half welded together. I
removed the tank gague sending unit and cleaned it up. I filled the tank
with hot water and dish soap and shook it around a lot and scrubbed it
with a toilet bowl brush inserted in the hole for the sender unit. I
then rinsed it out untill I got all the little particles and suds out of it.

Remembering highschool chemistry I poured in two quarts of cheap
drugstore isopropyl alcohol and swished it around to absorb all the
water, then poured it out. After letting the tank dry for an hour in the
sun, I hit it with compressed air. I then cut out the rusted area around
the pinhole leak, braised on a patch, ground the whole thing smooth,
painted the ouside of the tank, and remounted it. Pretty simple.

I suppose the operative thing to remember is that water displaces
gasolene and that the alcohol absorbes water and evaporates quickly.

Good luck brazing up your tank!

Mel Miller
2 X M725