B-17G "909"

From: Acfarer@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 07:09:35 PDT

Well boys and girls...I just had the thrill of a lifetime. My dear, loving,
(when she is not nagging me about the cost of my resto), sweet, caring, wife
bought me a ticket to ride on the "Nine-O-Nine", a B-17G. What a birthday
present! If you have not had this opportunity, I suggest you arrange it the
next time any of the few that are left come to your town.
    Here's the best part. While my son, age 7, and I were standing around at
the concession table, a gentleman asked the pilot how old you had to be to
ride. The pilot replied, "Self sufficient". At that point, the man asked my
son if he wanted to go. He had bought two tickets to ensure that they had
enough seats filled to take the flight. His intent was to give the other seat
to a kid who would appreciate and learn from the experience. HOLY SMOKES!!!!!
This is perhaps the grandest of gestures as the impact on my son has been a
wonderful thing to watch. He is full of questions about our military history.
Something that should never be forgotten.
    I am forever indebted the that kind, benevolent, ex-marine, named Scott.
His gift was not squandered. We will be exchanging pictures of each other
taken in flight, and Tucker, (my son), has written a long thank you letter to
include in the package.
    If any of you ever have the chance to positively impact a child's life on
ANY level, please don't let the opportunity slip past. As for me, as soon as
my eyes dry up, Tucker and I are going to the shop to work on the old GPW.
Best regards,

Jonathan Boos
acfarer@aol.com
'43 GPW