Re: [MV] B-17G "909"

From: Walter Houghton (FlyN3Nvt@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 08:16:59 PDT

Perfect Story!!! Being a aircraft mechanic and a historian of sorts. I
always love to read stories like that one. Here is one! About 3 yrs ago, I
was working for a company in Upstate NY who owns a few DC-3's and a C-47 or
2. We had 2 in the hangar that day, one under restoration, and another in
for an inspection. I was pulling maint on one of the PW 1830's when it was 4
oclock!!! (4 oclock was when they guys would let me put in my Glen Miller
tape in the Hangar Stereo) well as we were well into the tape. A older
gentleman had walked over into the hangar. He mentioned that he was outside
on his porch when one of the 3's flew over his house the day before. He
walked around for a bit looking at the airplanes when he came back over. He
told us that he was a pilot in ww2 and flew the C-47. All of us eventually
stopped work and listened to some of the stories he told. Afterwards, the
thanked us!!!! For having bring him back some wonderful memories and
preserving a few "old girls" and having fun doing it"pointing to the stereo
still playing "chattenooga-choo-choo"

Jeff