FELLOW LISTEE-MAJOR RICE UPDATE

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 09:23:56 PDT

Hi Listees,

Some of you may know Jim Rice as a member of this list. I got to know him
through the list and through MV activities here in San Antonio. I last saw
him on 5/28/01 when I took my GPW to display at the PH movie permier. Jim
had his GPW there too....as some may know, the following week he had an
accident in France. Here is a copy of an article that appeared in the San
Antonio paper over the weekend about the accident:

A San Antonio Army Parachutist participating in a D-Day re-enactment last
weekend in France was seriously injured when he jumped from 1,000 feet and
his primary and backup chutes failed
Maj. Jim Rice, who was on leave from his post at Fort Sam Houston broke
bones in both his legs and back, but avoided fatal injuries from a fall
into an empty field in Normandy, Fort Sam spokesman Phil Reidinger said.
"The main chute didn't deploy and the reserve only partially deployed,"
Reidinger said. "He knew what he was doing, though. He executed a
parachute landing so that his legs took the full brunt of the impact."
"He's a lucky guy," Reidinger added.
Rice, who teaches military tactics to junior officers at Fort Sam, was on
leave and participating alongside members of the 82nd Airborne on Sunday
when the accident happened, Reidinger said.
Medics found Rice in an empty field near the drop zone, and he was taken to
a nearby hospital.
He is currently at an Army medical center in Germany, where his condition
was unavailable.
However, Army officials expect Rice to be transferred to Brooke Army
Medical Center at Fort Sam within the next two weeks, pending doctor
approval.
His wife, Stephanie, a local schoolteacher, was traveling to Germany to be
with her husband and could not be reached for comment.
"He's speaking, he's coherent and cognizant," said Rice's friend David
Talley of San Antonio.
Rice, who is in his 30s and is a graduate of West Point, transferred to San
Antonio about a year ago.
Before living here, he was stationed at a base in Oklahoma and also served
time in Germany, Talley said.

I sure hope this comes out well!

dean

Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD
Department of Medicine
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
(210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu