Re: [MV] Chassis CJ - Eng. #s found in 2 places

From: lou (lou@frontier.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:47:22 PDT

My guesses based on limited knowledge and experience (but really awesome
abilities with a printed page;>') are:

Frame

Does it have the boxed reinforcements [] of the front rails or are they [
shaped? Does it have a larger sturdier battery support then the CJ2A frame?

These are the major differences between the CJ3A and the M38 frames, on the
M38 the boxed reinforcemnts are stamped with an upsidedown W (which is M for
military I'm told - I first assumed it was W for willys). I believe the
CJ2A & CJ3A frames are identical (or nearly so) while the M38, M38A1, and
early CJ5 (and perhaps CJ3B) are also nearly indentical.

Engine

I'm not that familiar with the engine serial numbers. They consist of a
prefix and a 5 or 6 digit serial occasionally followed by a two letter
suffix (either A, B, or AB having to do with bore and crank over and under
sizes from the factory). Thought most of the civvy blocks used 4J as the
prefix regardless of cj model (could that be your funny U). Both L and F
head serials are in the same location.

Regards Lou