RE: [MV] Weapon-laden vehicle & First Impressions

From: Rich Sherman (richs@volcano.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 11:49:33 PDT

Jack wrote...

<< Speaking from experience, there is always that one odd cop that makes the
rest of the good guys look like asses.... The flip side of that is plenty of
people who are pulled over instantly act like a-holes...>>

Seems like first impressions last forever. In our neck of the woods there is
some type of a car show or club meet or run almost every weekend during the
summer. I always try to take one of the HMV's.

I recently acquired a really nice 1953 G model Harley Servi-car. I needed
the VIN verification for registration and since a car show was scheduled on
a weekend, I thought I would take it to the Calif Highway Patrol display and
ask one of the officers to sign it off. Well, I found a most grumpy officer,
pissed because he had to work on a Saturday, that wouldn't even look at my
trike. Once he found out that he would have to get down and look at the
number by the foot peg, and that Harleys of that vintage did not have frame
numbers he just shook his head and to me to go find an 'vin' officer. It was
too bad because there were lots of folks around admiring the Harley, and as
I left they all agreed that he was a jerk, and would have no problem writing
me a ticket but could not be bothered to help otherwise.

The one bright spot happened when a person standing near by asked the
officer if the Servi-car was an old CHP bike. He got a sour look and replied
that the Calif Highway Patrol DID NOT use Harley trikes or meter maids!

The moral is, like when we display our MV's, be nice because first
impressions count!

Rich Sherman
Sutter Creek, Ca.